Thursday 14 March 2013

Big Boat for Big Dreams ...

A week or so ago I contacted Liz at P+H Sea Kayaks.  I was enquiring about a Cetus HV and whether they had any in stock.  They had two and one had a carbon/ kevlar hull .. I didn't ask further, but noticed it also had a compass fitted, which was one less job for me to do!

On some paper work I noticed the word rudder, and was intrigued.  Well its a big boat, I thought so may be this makes sense.  I picked it up on Tuesday along with a couple of boats for James and drove straight to Menai Bridge, to un-fail her.   Not necessarily my first choice in colour but it all seemed to work ok.

Time for some personal paddling.  Wednesday Barry was about and on for a paddle to so we had a lose plan to meet at 900 and go from there. 


At Trearddur Bay, with a plan to paddle to South Stack and back.   It was much colder here than at Meani Bridge and squally fronts of hail pushed through.  But I wanted to get out in the wind and rough water ...


Having only paddled double sea kayak with a rudder before, it was an interesting experience.  We moved close into the rocky channels and I found inside turns were much easier.  This was because I could straighten my lower leg, hence pushing the top of the foot peg, while drawing my top knee.  This achieved a tight turn.  Out side edged turn need more practice as my top leg is now pushing the foot peg and going straight, so its much harder to maintain the edge.


We headed on to South Stack, feeling more of the wind ...


Annie's arch was exciting, with current against us, swell and reflected waves ...


Gogarth Bay was a mess and North Stack looked massive.  We headed out into the ebb tide at South Stack, turned and took a down wind run ...soaking up the welcomed sunshine and the view.



I had enjoyed my first journey out in the Cetus HV.  It had felt solid and stable, plus the kayak was controllable with or without the rudder. I was also happy focusing on the camera and taking photos, which is a good test for me.  Next i want to paddle the Cetus in some surf and see how the rudder fairs there ...

We headed back to Menai Bridge and on arrival it was clear that it had been sunny all day ... time for hot choc's!

Roger

www.coastalspirit.com

sea kayak course's

No comments:

Post a Comment